Special Use Leasing

Special use leases are authorized under Chapter 5 - Special Use Leasing of the Board of Land Commissioners Rules and Regulations. Special Use means any use of state land other than for grazing, agriculture, the extraction of minerals, or uses authorized under easements granted pursuant to Chapter of the Rules and Regulations, or hunting, fishing and general recreational uses pursuant to Chapter 13 of the Rules and Regulations. Some examples of special use leases are communication sites, wind farms, cabin sites, water wells for commercial or municipal use, and compressor sites.

Rental for special use leases can be the amount bid by the applicant, if accepted by the Board, or it is based on fair market value for same or similar use of the land and any improvements owned by the State after an economic analysis is made. In cases where annual rental can not be established based on fair market value for the same or similar use of the land, the minimum rental shall not be less than $250.00 or 5½% of the appraised land value and any improvements owned by the State.

An applicant for a special use lease must consult with any existing lease holder, i.e. the grazing lease holder, prior to issuance of a special use lease. If the applicant for a special use lease obtains written consent from the existing lessee(s) to the issuance of a special use lease, the special use lease shall be deemed to not result in substantive impairment of the existing lease(s).

When filing a Special Use Lease Application, it must be completed in its entirety, returned to this office with original signatures, a $250.00 filing fee, and your first year's rental offer. Because special use leases cover a wide variety of uses, in some cases there may be other requirements in addition to the application. (If you are printing this application from the website, it must be on 8½ x 14 Legal Size Paper. This is an interactive form and can be completed prior to printing.)

*If applying for a lease or permit in Sage-grouse core area, a Density Disturbance Calculation Tool (DDCT) worksheet must be submitted to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department.  For more information and to download the worksheet, please visit https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Habitat/Sage-Grouse-Management.